Magnetix Toy Recall


The Associated Press reported that a total of 7.8 million Magnetix magnetic building sets have been recalled after children swallowed small magnets contained in the sets and were seriously injured. Mega Brands Inc., the company which manufactures the toy sets, recalled 3.8 million of the magnetic building sets in March 2006 after a child died and 4 others were seriously injured after swallowing the magnets. The Product Safety Commission and Mega Brands know of one death, one aspiration and 27 intestinal injuries. The commission received reports of at least 1500 incidents in which the magnets separated from the toy. If more than one magnet is swallowed, the magnets can attach to each other and cause intestinal perforation, infection, or blockage which can be fatal. The hazard was initially thought to be a problem only for children younger than 6 but the reports show that at least 10 injuries involved children between the ages of 6 and 11.

The recall includes all sets except Magnetix sets dated March 31, 2006, that are age labeled “6+” and also contain the statement “CAUTION: Do not ingest or inhale magnets. Attraction of magnets in the body may cause serious injury and require immediate medical care.” The newer sets supposedly have better material and design according to the company. Magnetix sets are sold by toy and arts and craft stores nationwide.

Consumers should contact Mega Brands for replacement toys. For more information call Mega Brands at (800) 779-7122.


Comments are closed.

Contact Information