SC Ranks 18th in Country in Deer Crashes
One out of every 126 cars in South Carolina will crash into a deer this year, according to State Farm Insurance, which has issued a “deer alert” to Palmetto State motorists.
South Carolina ranks 18th in the country for overall likelihood of striking a deer.
A recent case in point: A female motorcycle passenger was killed in a collision with a deer in Lexington County on October 24. Here is the WIS-TV report:
According to the coroner, 48-year-old Lynne M. Wilke was taken to Palmetto Health Richland for her injuries. She died at the hospital.
Troopers say Wilke was the passenger on a 2003 Harley Davidson traveling south when a group of deer ran into the road. The woman was thrown from the motorcycle when it hit one of the deer.
The driver and Wilke, who were not wearing helmets, were transported to Palmetto Health Richland Hospital. The driver, from Columbia, had minor injuries.
Deer are most active during evening, dusk and dawn. They tend to travel in groups. When you see one crossing the road or on the shoulder, chances are there are others nearby.
Following are some additional deer safe driving tips:
• Scan both sides of the road. Watch for deer eyes reflecting light.
• Most accidents occur when drivers try to swerve out of the way of deer.
• Brake firmly and maintain control of your vehicle.
• Using high beams and sounding the horn may repel the deer, but won’t necessarily prevent a collision.
• Reduce speed at the first sign of deer. Keep your eyes peeled.
• Buckle up at all times.
• Try to avoid driving at night.
Free Consultation With A South Carolina Auto Accident Lawyer
Have you or a loved one been in an automobile accident? Do you have a question about insurance coverage? The Columbia car crash attorneys of the Louthian Law Firm are here to discuss your legal options. Call us today at 888-616-4339 or use this online form. We will give you a free and confidential case evaluation.
• WIS-TV http://www.wistv.com/story/19913789/woman-dies-in-motorcycle-vs-deer-collision
• WSPA Channel 7, Spartanburg